6.1 By 31 March 2020 the Commission will present the Attorney-General with its report on Victoria’s committal and pre-trial system.
6.2 The Commission is seeking comment on the form or design of pre-trial criminal procedure that would most efficiently and effectively achieve and uphold the goals and principles of the Terms of Reference.
6.3 This may address:
• maintaining the present system
• reforming the present system
• abolishing the present system and replacing it
• the impact of any proposed changes on all parts of the criminal justice system
• what will be needed to ensure the successful implementation and operation of those changes, including resource implications.
6.4 In relation to Victoria’s committal and pre-trial system, the Commission is also seeking comment on:
• best practice for supporting victims
• reduction of trauma experienced by victims and witnesses
• improving efficiency in the criminal justice system; and
• ensuring fair trial rights.
6.5 The closing date for submissions is 16 August 2019.