The Commission formed a small committee with expertise in the operation of the CMIA to assist in identifying and exploring issues, largely those arising from the terms of reference. Members contributed as individual experts, not as representatives of any organisation.
The committee met twice, on 16 April 2013 and 16 September 2013. Two members met with the Commission separately on 21 November 2013, in lieu of their attendance at the 16 September 2013 meeting. The following attended one or more meetings:
• Isabell Collins, Director, Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council
• Dr Ian Freckelton QC, barrister
• Phil Grano OAM, Principal Legal Officer, Office of the Public Advocate
• Tim Marsh, Chief Counsel, Victoria Legal Aid
• Professor James Ogloff, Director of Psychological Services, Forensicare and Director, Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science, Monash University
• Gavin Silbert QC, Chief Crown Prosecutor, Office of Public Prosecutions, and
• Dr Danny Sullivan, Assistant Clinical Director Community Operations, Forensicare, Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Monash University and Honorary Fellow, University of Melbourne.